Restaurants that are reopening their normal dine-in establishments will need to put their reusable menus aside and stock up on single-use disposable (and recyclable) menus.
Not only will this method help stop the spread of the disease, it will put your customers at ease. The last thing you want your customers thinking while browsing your menu is “has this been properly sanitized?”
Takeout can keep restaurants afloat
With takeout as the only option for many restaurants during the pandemic, it’s critical to get it right. Whether you’re tackling takeout for the first time or it has long been a staple of your business, there are several ways you can adapt your operations to suit the pandemic situation.
If you don’t already have a takeout menu, it can be as simple as your dine-in menu with additional contact and ordering details, or a custom takeout design.
Here are some tips for a new takeout menu:
- Only offer items that prep fast and travel well.
- Prominently show your business name, phone number, and address.
- How to order: by phone, online ordering, your website, other partners.
- Include your hours, delivery partners, and any pickup or purchasing policies.
- Be conservative; a poor takeout experience can cost you a customer.
Safe pickup policies
During the pandemic, the main consideration for restaurants is how to handoff food to patrons without violating social distancing guidelines.
- Orders should be fully packaged and labeled. No one should be touching the food after it leaves the kitchen. Setting your bags on a counter or shelf will let customers pick it up themselves.
- Handoffs should be as efficient as possible. Pre-payments eliminate the need to stand at the counter, exchange cash or credit cards, and touch a pen or payment screen.
- Protect your employees. Remind patrons to stay in the car and avoid hand-to-hand contact. Staffers who deliver food should wash their hands often.
- Consult your local health department for additional guidance on strategies to safeguard your employees and the public.
Keep in touch via postcards
Postcards are a great and economical way to stay at the top of your customers’ minds. In addition to printing eye-catching postcards, Broudy can help you use variable data to personalize every postcard. With personalization, you can customize your offers to entice new customers and keep existing customers coming back for more.
Put your menus in more customers homes to drive business